The Sphinx is an Eternal who was the chief expert of sorcery on Titan. After Thanos attacked and nearly wiped out the planet, Sphinx left Titan and headed to Earth where he adopted the name Anath-Na Mut as he lived in Egypt. For the next 5,000 years Sphinx traveled the Earth without purpose, involving himself in whichever endeavors of mankind struck his fancy.
Eventually the Sphinx became profoundly bored with his immortal life and began to search for a new purpose in life, or else he would look to Death. He was found by Thanos in the 1950's as he was searching for his son Thane. Sphinx was then convinced by Thanos to serve him in order to spread the ideals of the Eternals.
Powers and Abilities Edit
Anath-Na Mut is an Eternal and therefore has the following power.
- Energy Manipulation and Control: His physiology enabled Mut to manipulate vast quantities of mystical energy for a number of purposes including projecting powerful beams of concussive force, extraordinarily bright light, and extreme heat.
- Telepathy and Total Recall: His physiology also granted Mut some degree of telepathy, the full limits of which weren't known. He was, however, capable of reading the minds of most sentient beings and was able to fully retain any knowledge or information he acquired.
- Flight: Mut was capable of flying through the air at great speeds. The full limit of his flight speed isn't known. Mut was also capable of flying unaided through the vacuum of space unharmed.
- Superhuman Strength: His physiology grants Mut great superhuman strength. At his peak, Mut possessed sufficient strength to lift about 85 tons throughout most of his time with the stone. However, Mut once briefly absorbed the energy of the planet sized computer complex of Xandar which greatly increased his physical strength. Prior to having this power siphoned from him by Galactus, Mut was capable of lifting somewhere far in excess of 100 tons.
- Superhuman Stamina: His muscles produced almost no fatigue toxins during physical activity, granting him almost limitless superhuman stamina.
- Superhuman Durability: Mut's body was highly resistant to physical injury. Mut was able to withstand powerful impact forces, falls from tremendous heights, exposure to extremes of both temperature and pressure, powerful energy blasts without being injured. Mut was also capable of surviving without oxygen and within the vacuum of space.
- Immortality: Mut is functionally immortal in the sense that he was immune to the effects of aging and to all known Earthly diseases and infections.